Virtual workplaces and teams are commonplace in today’s society. Colleagues collaborate effortlessly with high-tech communication from any geographical spot with an Internet connection. As a result, the need for internet-based business applications is in high demand.
Akamai Technologies’ recent survey polled 350 IT decision-makers to gain insight into how quickly enterprises plan to move applications to the Internet. Results from the survey are summarized here, as published by CIO Insight:
- Current Situation. 50% of IT decision-makers in the survey said they run less than 20% of their business apps over the Internet today, compared with using their private network.
- Future Projection. 43% expect to deliver the majority of their apps over the Internet within the next year.
- Apps Run Over the Internet.
- Websites and Web apps: 71%
- Email services: 57%
- Content/collaboration sites and portals: 51%
- E-Learning: 47%
- Mobile or mobile Web back-end apps: 46%
- Room for Growth. Just one-quarter of the survey respondents said they’re running business intelligence and big data apps over the Internet.
- Big Money. 56% said that big data is their top focus for planned investment in the coming year.
- Concerns About Internet-Delivered Apps.
- Security: 87%
- Performance: 66%
- Reliability: 45%
- On the Go. 97% of the respondents said their company has users who access business apps on a mobile device, and 22% said that more than half of their users do this.
- Moving Forward. 39% consider mobile or mobile Web back-end apps to be a top area of investment for 2015.
More details regarding Akamai Technologies’ survey can be found in the full CIO Insight article.
IT SECURITY SUPPORT: Blue Mountain Data Systems provides IT Security Support Services for Federal Civilian Agencies. Looking to find Vulnerability Scanning and Testing, Penetration Testing, Risk Assessment & FISMA Reporting for your Federal Agency? Call Paul Vesely at 703-502-3416.