Each year thousands of CIOs and senior IT executives from all walks of life gather at the Gartner Symposium ITxpo. This epic, multi-continental event provides attendees with a strategic view on the trends that shape IT-related business. Over 24,000 people—including 7,000 CIOs—attend annually.
In a recent Forbes article, Peter High, outlined Gartner’s top ten predictions of strategic information technology trends that will affect organizations over the next three years. They are summarized as follows:
- Computing Everywhere – Along with wearables, smart-phones will offer connected screens in the workplace and in public. User experience will be key.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) will be the focus of digital business products and processes in industrial and operational contexts.
- 3D Printing is about to get cheaper, for industrial, biomedical, and consumer applications and will help companies reduce costs.
- Advanced, Pervasive, Invisible Analytics will continue to grow propelled by the Internet of Things, creating large pools of data. Every app will need to be an analytic app.
- Context-Rich System – Thanks to embedded intelligence and analytics, systems will become alert and responsive to their surroundings.
- Smart Machines – Analytics and context will pave the way for smart machines that can learn for themselves and act accordingly.
- Cloud/Client Architecture – As mobile computing meets cloud computing, centrally coordinated applications that can be delivered to any device will continue to grow.
- Software-Defined Infrastructure and Applications – Software defined networking, storage, data centers and security are maturing. Cloud service software is configurable thanks to rich APIs.
- Web-Scale IT – As cloud-optimized and software-defined methods become mainstream, we’ll see a move towards web-scale IT, starting with DevOps.
- Risk-Based Security and Self-Protection – Security will move away from perimeter defense to multi-faceted approaches. Expect security aware application design, dynamic and static application security testing, and runtime application self-protection.
For more information regarding Gartner’s stragetic IT trends, see the full Forbes article.
IT SECURITY SUPPORT: Blue Mountain Data Systems provides IT Security Support Services for Federal Civilian Agencies. Looking to find Vulnerability Scanning and Testing, Penetration Testing, Risk Assessment & FISMA Reporting for your Federal Agency? Call Paul Vesely at 703-502-3416.